· Chael Sonnen – Chael Sonnen is coming off of a win over WEC middleweight champ Paulo Filho, but he never got the official title because Filho failed to make weight. Sonnen looks very good lately and will certainly challenge for the belt right away. He could be in consideration for the TUF 9 coaching gig as well alongside Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt and Demian Maia.
· Jake Rosholt – Rosholt won his WEC debut against Nissen Osterneck, but he looked very vulnerable standing. Rosholt will certainly get a shot in the UFC and many think Rosholt could be a champ some day. He is training now out of Xtreme Couture, so his striking should improve. I would say it won’t be long and he will have his first opponent in the octagon.
· Nissen Osterneck – This is somewhat of a surprise, but it is being reported that despite losing his WEC debut to Rosholt that Osterneck will get a chance in the UFC. His loss to Rosholt was his first professional loss, but he did look pretty good in that fight.
· Steve Cantwell – Cantwell will be the first WEC fighter to make the move over. He is the champ. A rubber match was slated for him and Brian Stann, but Stann withdrew due to injury. Cantwell will make his UFC debut against Razak Al-Hussan at UFC Fight Night 17: Fight For the Troops on December 10th. “The Robot” is a very young fighter with great striking and kickboxing and is sure to improve.
· Brian Stann – Stann made a move to Team Jackson and sustained an injury, but he should be recovered soon and may have an opponent sooner than later. We still could see Cantwell vs. Stann III if Cantwell wins next week.
· Mark Munoz – He fights December 3rd in the WEC and then is expected to make his move to the UFC. He is a solid prospect who may be competitive in the UFC.
Note: Paulo Filho has been dropped from his Zuffa contract and will not make the move to the UFC. Also, I am note sure what the contract status is of Carmello Marrero. It looks like Doug Marshall will not be with Zuffa. Danillo Vilefort looks to be dropping to 170 lbs.
Filed under: Brian Stann, Carmello Marrero, Chael Sonnen, Jake Rosholt, Mark Munoz, Nissen Osterneck, Steve Cantwell, Steve Steinbeiss | Tagged: Brian Stann, Chael Sonnen, Jake Rosholt, Mark Munoz, Nissen Osterneck, Steve Cantwell, Steve Steinbeiss | Leave a comment »