WEC 36 was a night full of upsets. If I was a betting man I would have been hurting from this card. If you look at my predictions you can see that. Quite honestly it was not a good night for the WEC.
- Let me start with the main event and work my way down. All I can say is…wow! I did not expect that. Urijah Faber has looked unbeatable and finally somebody dethroned the featherweight king. I still think he is number 1 in the world, but what a KO. I will be interested to see how the WEC works this situation out. Will they give Urijah an instant re-match? Will Leonard Garcia get a shot? Will Faber fight a top contender like Garcia, Fabiano, Aldo or Tamura? Honestly, I think he may desere a shot, but I would not be upset if they made him win one and let Garcia get first crack at the new champ.
- Mike Brown was innjured in the fight witha broken rib cage and is out a few weeks. So we will not see him defend his title for a bit.
- The Sonnen vs. Filho fight stunk. It wasn’t Chael’s fault at all. What the heck was Paulo Filho doing. He looked way out of it. I suspect drugs. Filho may have been drained from the weight drop. He may not have all his personal stuff in order yet. He may have seen this as a senseless fight. I don’t know what the deal was. Sonnen won easily. I scored it 30-26…and that was being nice to Filho. Can you say Kalib Starnes?
- Who expected Leonard Garcia to KO Jens Pulver. Urijah Faber couldn’t KO Pulver. Garcia made quick work of Pulver. He made it look easy. I had been a Garcia doubter, but I am believing that he could be a featehrweight champ in the WEC. He has serious knock out power and he rocked Jens.
- Aaron Simpson looks like a solid middleweight prospect and he may have punched his ticked into the UFC with his one punch KO of David Avellan. He is worth a shot.
- Jake Rosholt is not just a good wrestler. He is the real deal. He is a future MMA star. He looked very good and I think he will do very well in the UFC. I’d love to see him vs. C.B. Dolloway.
- I also think Nissen Osterneck impressed. He looked very good and nearly finished Rosholt. The UFC may have lost some in the disappointing performance of Filho, but they may have gained in additions to their roster in the likes of Rosholt and guys like Osterneck and Simpson who emerged from WEC 36 with more respect in the fight world.
- Looks like Donald Cerrone will fight Jamie Varner for the title in January. Razor Rob is done.
Filed under: Chael Sonnen, Donald Cerrone, Jake Rosholt, Jens Pulver, Leonard Garcia, Mike Brown, Paulo Filho, Rob McCullough, Urijah Faber, WEC 36: Filho vs. Sonnen II | Tagged: Aaron Simpson, Carmelo Marrero, Chael Sonnen, Donald Cerrone, Jake Rosholt, Jens Pulver, Jose Aldo, Leonard Garcia, Mike Brown, Nissen Osterneck, Paulo Filho, Rani Yayha, Urijah Faber, WEC 36: Filho vs. Sonnen II, Yoshiro Maeda |