I have several thoughts about UFC 84: Ill Will. Here they go…
- I was stoked to see the UFC show so many cards on pay-per view. I believe 9 fights were aired. I liked it a lot. Of course it was because there were notmany drawn out decision fights. I was gald to see Sokoudjou and Carwin’s fights. It helps the UFC and their careers to get the attention.
- B.J. Penn looked amazing. We didn’t even see his jiu-jit su. He looked crisp in striking. He was quick and he wore out Sherk with striking. His cardio looked great too. B.J. called for the G.S.P. fight and that could be interesting. Could B.J. hold two belts at the same time?
- I don’t know what Sherk was doing. After the fight he said he stayed standing because he was doing well striking. What fight was he watching? He could’t reach B.J. He should have used his wrestling more.
- How about the show of class between Penn and Sherk. After many heated words B.J. hugged Sherk and invited him to train in Hawaii
- Wanderlei is back. He rocked Jardine. Jardine was out cold. And what a classy individual is Wandy. He is what makes MMA special. You cannot help but to like him. He was really concerned for his opponent. He is humble. I am a Wanderlei fan. I will root for a Wanderlei vs. Rampage fight in UFC. It could happen and the UFC could market it as Rampage’s revenge. That opens up many scenarios. If Wandy wins he could get Chuck again for the title. Still possible he drops down for the Silva vs. Silva match.
- Lyoto Machida was great against Tito. Some accuse him of running, but he was elusive. He was smart. Tito couldn’t hit him. He was fast. He picked his shots well against Tito. Lyoto is the real deal and will get a big fight next. He beat Tito bad and I am glad.
- Who knows what all realyl went on in the UFC after fight press conference with Tito. Tito is a loud mouthed jerk.
- Thiago Silva has a tough chin. Mendes may be for real, but Thiago is really for real. He is a top 10 light heavyweight and is in the mix for a title. He will get a top tier guy next.
- Goran Reljic looked great. He can kick hard. He has KO power. If he can learn to vary his kicks more he is a contender. I moved him into my top 15 from that fight. I’d like to see him vs. Hammil.
- Palhares is a force at middleweight. What an amazing arm bar! He better improve his striking though. He should have thrown some punches while trying to sink in that choke. Nevertheless, oen of the best jiu-jitsu guys in the UFC
- Shane Carwin’s KO of Wellish was sick. His bread and butter is ground and pound and he didn’t even show it. He will be a heavyweight force.
- Yoshida looked great against Koppenhaver. That choke was textbook. We will see how he does against more serious competition.
- Kim will also be a force at welterweight
- Sokoudjou won…yay! He didn’t look great, but he won, apparently with a hurt knee. He called for Shogun, but I hope he doesn’t get him. I want both those guys to do well in the UFC. One of them losing would hurt their UFC careers bad. I’d give Shogun someone like Wilson Gouveia or Stephan Bonnar to get a win under his belt. And Shogun wants Liddell.
- This may have helped the UFC roster cuts. Look for Salaverry, Koppenhaver, and Tan to be canned. Also, Nakamura may be done as could Etim.
Filed under: Antonio Mendes, B.J. Penn, Christian Wellish, Dong Hyun-Kim, Georges St. Pierre, Goran Reljic, Ivan Salaverry, Jason Tan, Jon Koppenhaver, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Keith Jardine, Lyoto Machida, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Rich Clementi, Rousimar Palhares, Sean Sherk, Shane Carwin, Terry Etim, Thiago Silva, Tito Ortiz, UFC 84: Ill Will, Wanderlei Silva, Wilson Gouveia, Yoshiyuki Yoshida | Tagged: Antonio Mendes, B.J. Penn, Christian Wellish, Chuck Liddell, Dong Hyun-Kim, Georges St. Pierre, Goran Reljic, Ivan Salaverry, Jason Tan, Jon Koppenhaver, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Keith Jardine, Lyoto Machida, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Rich Clementi, Rousimar Palhares, Sean Sherk, Shane Carwin, Terry Etim, Thiago Silva, Tito Ortiz, UFC 84: Ill Will, Wanderlei Silva, Wilson Gouveia, Yoshiyuki Yoshida | 1 Comment »